Methods of Communicating School Vehicle Cancellations
Student Transportation of Eastern Ontario (STEO) would like to advise students and parent(s)/guardian(s) that we have numerous methods in which you can check for school vehicle cancellations:
- Announcements regarding the cancellation of school bus and special vehicle transportation will be broadcasted starting no later than 6:15 a.m. on local area radio and TV stations.
- On the STEO Website at www.steo.ca, click “View Bus Delays & Cancellations” to view.
- The BusPlanner App will push out notifications to all subscribers.
- Emails will be sent to Parent Portal subscribers.
- Social Media will be updated – this includes STEO Facebook Page and Twitter pages (@steocancels and @steo_news).
- Calling 1-866-629-0629 to access a pre-recorded voice message. Please note that the message for this phone line is only updated on inclement weather days.
Please do not call the bus companies as the radio and website and other methods listed above will reflect the most accurate information.
If transportation is cancelled in the morning, afternoon transportation will not operate.
Inclement Weather Procedure
- Reviewing and preparing the inclement weather process begins in July and is completed by the first of November each year.
- STEO contracts KSMI, a local Precision Meteorological Service to provide the most accurate weather information.
- Weather forecasts are reviewed at 2:00 p.m, 8:00 p.m. the day before and again at 4:00 a.m. the morning of the possible cancellation.
- At 4:30 a.m. the bus operator weather captains and their staff from across the region drive various roads in their zone checking road and weather conditions.
- At 5:00 a.m. both the STEO General Manager/CAO and the Operations Manager begin to receive phone calls from the weather captains for updates on conditions.
- At 5:30 a.m. each school board’s director or designate is contacted to discuss a recommended decision.
- At 5:45 a.m. the decision is made on whether or not busing is cancelled for the day.
- No later than 6:15 a.m. if busing is cancelled, messaging is shared via the communication methods described above.
Below are links to more resources related to cancellations and inclement weather: